Republic of the Maldives maintains a strong international presence, while raising our voice in support of standards needed to the Maldivian nation, as well as establishing close and friendly relations with the external development partners. Official and diplomatic relations between the Maldives and other countries commenced since the Maldives became independent in 1965.
The Maldives receives financial and technical assistance for its development projects from a number of bilateral, multilateral development partners and commercial banks and the Ministry maintains close cooperation with these institutions in matters related to economic policy and public finances. An overview and the nature of collaboration with these institutions are mentioned below.
- Abu Dhabi Fund for Development
- Asian Development Bank
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- European Investment Bank
- Export Import Bank of China
- International Monetary Fund
- Islamic Development Bank
- Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development
- Saudi Fund for Development
- The OPEC Fund for International Development
- World Bank